33 persons attended the 15th formal meeting, which took place virtually through the BlueJeans conference system. After the presentation by José Aragão, we challenged the participants to apply their new skills.
20 persons accepted the challenge. We split the participants among five virtual rooms, and asked them to rewrite four sentences.
After 15 minutes of networking and interaction in small groups, we brought everyone together and compared the rewritten sentences. Some sentences allowed a surprising number of different interpretations, which further reinforced the importance of clear communication.
Finally, we allowed each participant to address the group with a question or comment. Overall the participants praised the event and asked clarifying questions. The event ended at 20h05.
As organizer, I was glad to recreate some of the group dynamics that normally happens on face-to-face events.
The invitation (24-May)
Greetings to all technical writers, and to everyone interested in technical communication!
It’s time to go more virtual, in a joint webinar with APCOMTEC and EuroSIGDOC, sponsored by Farfetch.
- Tuesday, June 2nd, 18h30-19h30.
- José Aragão (Farfetch): Clear Communication – Writing clearly when documenting Farfetch APIs
- The Farfetch APIs, documentation, and manuals are used by a very diverse group of people, from all around the world. With such a diverse audience, unclear documentation will certainly lead to lost time. This is why technical documents must be unusually simple, unambiguous and literal. Clear communication is not merely desired – it is required.
Notes of interest:
- José will present in Portuguese about clear communication in English.
- The participation is free, subject to room capacity (about 150).
- The conferencing system Blue Jeans will suggest that you download a client, but you can participate with just a browser.
- There will be an opportunity for participants to interact, so plan ahead for audio and video.
Feel free to extend this invitation to friends and other interested parties. More interesting participants will improve the learning experience for everyone.
— Alexandra Albuquerque, APCOMTEC president, firstname.lastname@example.org
— Carlos Costa, EuroSIGDOC chair, email@example.com
— Joaquim Baptista, APCOMTEC secretary and EuroSIGDOC vice-chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
PS: If you missed the workshop on comics at the TCeurope Summer School last year, take a look at Communicator Winter 2019 or at the Farfetch Tech Blog: www.farfetchtechblog.com/en/blog/post/inspire-with-comics/
PPS: It costs €15 to join APCOMTEC and support their series of webinars.
- Clear Communication - Writing clearly when documenting Farfetch APIs
- Article by José Pedro Aragão on the same topic, posted 13-Dec-2019.